Skip to main content

A Little Change'll Do Ya

Well, I have been sooooo busy this week! I've been going room by room cleaning out and rearranging. (Insert high sing-song voice) L-O-V-E it!! I wasn't able to rearrange much in our last house. While it was home and I loved it dearly, it was a case of get it in there and it fits only where it fits. So maybe that is why I even moved the piano this week...just because I can!

I joked on facebook that everything I am not sure about goes to the next room and by the time I get to the last room I will need energency crews to rescue me! But it's not really that bad. I basically am trying to be sure that I am surrounded by things that I love. I also want each room to "work"..ya know what I mean by that? I am applying the critical eye to each room and anything that doesn't feel right or causes problems or chaos, well, it's outa here. Oh, maybe not out of the house exactly, but moved around so that there is a calm peacefulness.

Sometimes just moving things from one room to another helps open things up. I moved my childhood bookcase my uncle built for me from Cornbread's room to the playroom. I moved the little white bookshelf from his room to the girls' room. The little gold shelf in their room went to his room. The piano went from the living room to the foyer. I also added a small table to the washroom area so I could put detergents/dryer sheets on it and not constantly bump my head on open cabinet doors.

The result? A lot more reading going on again with so many books in the play/schoolroom. And the girls' have a sturdy shelf for their books and trophies instead of the flimsy one they had (which sat out just far enough to make you run into it and knock the books down and trophies off if you weren't careful!) They have a beautiful lamp in their room which sat in the corner on the nightstand. I moved it to the dresser where it bathes the entire room in its soft glow.

The piano being out of the living room makes it a lot quieter in here. And roomier! which seems to have the added benefit of settling the children down instead of hyping them up. I also put the wooden bench and shoes in the laundry/kitchen area so they weren't constantly spilling across the living room. The table that originally sat in the foyer now sits in the living room. I've always kept fresh flowers on it but now I can really enjoy them!

My next project is to get this big desk out of the living room and replace it with a small dresser that I was using for my desk in the school area. The goal is to eliminate the hot spots in the house where "stuff" winds up in piles instead of going to its proper place.

If I was pregnant this would be considered nesting. If it was spring, I'd be spring cleaning. But it's not either of those! Honestly the little health scares I've had recently (mammogram scare and skin biopsies that showed precancer) have just made me more determined to make my home more streamlined and easier to keep clean so that I have time for the things that count. I also want to be surrounded by things I really enjoy and appreciate, not just things I have accumulated.

Tomorrow I will begin a Friday series to show you some of my favorite things. Are you surrounded by things you enjoy and people you love? make it count!!

Comments

  1. Sounds wonderful!! I love how changing a room around can make you feel, and great bonus about the kids settling down and reading more. Looking forward to the new series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty I'll be glad when I get finished. Maybe I'll share pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally what we are doing right now, as well.

    Not pregnant.

    Not spring cleaning.

    Just a "fresh start" to life, I guess.

    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!