Skip to main content

Protect Your Children!

I was in Wal-mart when I saw a little girl of about 3 go by. She was dressed in pink with blond hair and she was carrying a butterfly net. She was calling for someone repeatedly. I didn't see anyone with her so my shopping came to an abrupt halt and I took off after her. Up and down the grocery aisle she was wandering, calling out...was it Mommy? I couldn't be sure but it was obvious she was alone and vulnerable so I quickened my pace to try to catch up with her. My cell phone began to ring but I ignored it in my quest to catch up. Other shoppers glanced at her as she went by but no one made a move towards her. Most of them looked questioningly at me, obviously trying to figure out if she was mine.

Finally I managed to catch up with her. I asked if she had lost someone. She didn't answer but started to walk away. I quickly grabbed her hand and said,"Let's go find Mommy." Her little fingers relaxed in mine and we strolled towards the front of the store.

As we walked she didn't say anything. She clung trustingly to my hand. I could have walked right out the door with her, simply telling her we were going to find Mommy.

When we approached Customer Service and I told them this little girl was lost, they looked shocked. By this time she was in my arms with her little head on my shoulder. Anyone looking would have thought she was mine.

About that time a woman rushed up and grabbed the little girl from my arms. It wasn't Mommy but Granny. The little girl was with her grandparents and had wandered off.

I still shake a bit to realize how easily this precious little one could have been abducted! I am glad I took the time to run after her and reunite her with her grandparents. But it scares me how easily she trusted me.

So two points on protecting your children come from this post.

1. Do whatever it takes to keep your child with you in public.
We use a little monkey backpack that has a strap for the tail to keep up with Cornbread when he wants to walk in public. We used one for the girls when they were younger too.

I remember when The GuitarMan was little he was a "runner." He would take off and he was like a lightening bolt. You couldn't catch him! After he went missing in the mall and the staff just looked at us like we were crazy when we went to them in a panic, we invested in a toddler leash for him. (BTW, We found him hiding under a rack of clothes) People would make remarks and give ugly glances at us as though we were treating him like an animal. But we simply wanted to make sure he was safe!

2. Take the time to teach your children.
As much as we try to keep our children close they sometimes get separated from us. Too often we tell them what NOT to do and neglect to tell them what TO do. Make sure they not only know to not go off with anyone but they also know who is safe to go to. Make sure they know both parent's real names, not just Mommy or Daddy. (Don't make the assumption that they already know this information. You would be surprised.)

Children are a treasure! Do whatever you can to keep them safe!!

Comments

  1. Such a great reminder! We have the "monkey on your back" too, and it is great, and gives the peace of mind that they can't wander off,assuming you have hold of the tail :). But you are so right about telling them what to do. I am going to make a point tomorrow to remind my oldest of that also.

    As always- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shana,
    Oh I was so shaky after this happened! I just wanted to get my babies home! I talked to them right there in Wal-Mart. We had a safety class at the banana stand LOL. I told mine to not go with anyone and to head to a person at the cash register. I wasn't sure if LadyBug would understand about Customer Service especially in different stores but I knew she would understand about a cash register. The thing with her is that she is so shy I doubt she would say anything when she got there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used a child leash when we lived in England, where it is common to use them -- the sidewalks are very narrow and full of people, and the streets choked with fast-moving traffic. I got dirty looks when I used it in the States, though. So, then I bought a Mickey Mouse hand-holder that strapped on my wrist and also my child's.

    You can't be too careful. Sometimes grandparents, if they are elderly, don't realize how dangerous things are today; they remember a safer world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    I guess people are more aware these days because we never get any negative remarks about the monkey backpack. We had the one that went around the wrist too back when my oldest was little. Folks just didn't seem to see the need back then so we were looked at as being overprotective or strange by using a leash. The Adam Walsh incident did a lot to bring attention to an ugly reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne,
    It scares me to death to think what could have happened!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!