Skip to main content

Growing Step By Step

Another quiet Sunday afternoon around here. The FisherMan is taking a Sunday nap. The FlowerChild is sound asleep, curled up like a little roly poly under a blanket in my recliner. LadyBug is bebopping from one activity to another, drawing, blocks, watching TV. Cornbread has been asleep all afternoon, literally from the moment we walked in from church, and he just woke up a little while ago. Now he is enjoying his attempts to get in the middle of all the activities LadyBug is engaged in.

It's so funny to watch my little man. He is growing up so quickly. Well, all the children are, really but I can't believe he is running around and trying to talk. He watches and imitates everything. We were amused the other day in the yard to see him following Daddy's routine. He went to the garden and checked the peppers and tomatoes. He checked the pump on the pool, even bending to blow on it as he has seen his Dad do. He checked the hummingbird feeders. Then he went to the grill and outdoor sink, presumably to wash his hands, I suppose. Every step was his father's.

Yet, he is also his own person with his own sense of humor. He has a smile that just lights up the world. But even a temper at times! Oh, my he has taken to banging his head on the floor if he gets especially angry! I can honestly say, at least he didn't get that from Daddy LOL!

I wonder if it is just a little like our Heavenly Father watching us as we grow in our Christian walk. Imagine His heart swelling with love and pride as He recognizes our feeble attempts to do things His way. As we try to match His footprints step for step. And have you ever behaved in a way that was a little like a toddler banging their head on the floor? At least a toddler doesn't try to justify their behavior! Sadly it doesn't take us long to learn that little habit.

But I think perhaps the key to truly growing up in Christ is to be like that little child. The little child has a clean slate. They are like a sponge, soaking up everything you say and do. We spend so much time soaking up the world's attitudes and ways that it can be hard to back up and think like a child. We should be soaking up God! Just as that little one's favorite place to be is with you, their parent, our favorite place should be with our Heavenly Father. We should be so in tune with Him that when we are left to our own devices we naturally do as He does. Our steps will be His steps.

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

Comments

  1. Oh, yes, good analogy. Been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary! You don't know how much I appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. It was very good to read today. I needed it. Also want to say good luck with Cornbread. My 13 yr old started out with the tantrums that included beating her head against the floor and kicking and screaming. I want to tell you it gets better! I'll let you know when the tantrums stop ;) But thanks for reminding me to take time to stop and think and pray.

    Oh and hey thanks for stopping by my site and for the wonderful comments! I made that second pie this morning. He wants to take it to a friend's house where a bunch of people are getting together for Labor Day. I have to stay home though, have to work :( I'm glad he gets to go have fun though and relax. And I'm so proud he wanted me to bake a pie for him to take and show off. Such a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty,
    LOLOL Now wait a minute, you're supposed to say he'll stop with the tantrums in a week or two...13? :oD
    Oh, I'm sorry you don't get to go too! But, hey, that pie must have been really good since he wanted another one to take with him. And he gets to tell everyone, "Yeah, my wife made that!"
    Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!