Skip to main content

Simple Pleasures Like Baby Birds, Tornados and Aprons

How is that for a title? Well just keep reading and it will make sense....maybe. :)

I spent a good portion of my day today planning some of FlowerChild's birthday party. We are planning a surprise party for her this weekend. We are having cottage prayer meetings for the next month leading up to revival. The first one is Saturday and we are going to combine it with her party. She doesn't have a clue! My little one is turning 7 Thursday and she has definite ideas about her cake and party. She wants a tornado chaser party. Oh, my, count on this girl to make things challenging for her Mama! I am going to find a picture of a tornado and have it scanned for the cake. Then maybe put a truck or SUV on there for the weather chaser. So if any of you creative geniuses out there have any additional ideas, let's hear them!

While I was out I stopped off at a thrift store just to see if they might have something I couldn't live without. I found two vintage aprons for my girls (Mama may even swipe them! ), a neat book for making crafts from the Colonial era (I thought that would be cool when they get a little older), and a nice bread tray. See a picture here. All for about $6!

It was a HOT afternoon. The children played outside in the pool. Afterwards I put them straight in the bath and was planning to have them move straight on to supper. But we had a slight interruption that a lot of people have never had the pleasure of enjoying.


Well, first let me back up a bit. A while back I mentioned watching two birds building a nest outside my kitchen window. We have watched them from the beginning as they brought little twigs to build a perfect nest on a shelf on the carport. Then we marveled at the tiny eggs. When we heard the baby birds tweeting we were all excited to welcome them. Every day we watched as the mama faithfully brought goodies to the babies.


So it all led up to tonight when my husband stuck his head in the back door and said, "Y'all come on! The baby birds are flying out of the nest!" The children loved seeing them as they took off, first going to the bushes then to the flowerbed. From there they spread out to the trees in the yard.


When one took a wrong turn and managed to wind up under the house they begged their daddy to go get him. The FisherMan will do a lot of things for his girls but it did not include climbing under the house after a baby bird. So they were content with opening the door under there and waiting. Sure enough, eventually he found his way out. Such a tiny little fuzzy thing!

When we lived in our last house the birds loved our front porch. We loved watching them build their little homes and care for their babies. So this wasn't the first time we have gotten to see this. It is all over in just a few minutes though. You have to catch it at just the right moment!

It happens so quickly that I did not even have time to grab the camera tonight. But I do have some other pictures that I would love to share if I have the time to get them transferred from the camera.


Take some time to enjoy a simple pleasure today! I know it is getting late, too late for birdwatching so let's see...... how 'bout ice cream? :)

Comments

  1. aww i hate i'm not going to be able to make the party! :( i'm not planning on coming home until the beginning of july and thats only going to be for a few minutes in passing but one thing i didnt forget was little flowerchild's present! ;) it just may be a little late getting there. im going to stop by on my way through hopefully. i hope i get to see lots of pictures! i miss you guys. give all of the little ones a hug and kiss for me. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,
    That's ok....you will catch The GuitarMan's birthday instead (29th)! FlowerChild understands just as we all do. We're just glad to see you when we can. :)
    Take care, Hon. Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a tornado party sounds so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treany,
    Yes, that's my girl! It was her idea and she has her heart set on it. AND she has complete faith in her mom to pull it off LOL. Oh, me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!