Skip to main content

Shopping + Children = Joy?

Life with children means activity at all times and today was no exception. The FlowerChild began Vacation Bible School at a church in a neighboring town this morning. She was so excited! VBS is probably her favorite part of summer and she usually likes to take advantage of it several times at various churches. To quote her: "VBS rocks!!" This one is Polar Express. Last night she was just bubbling and could not settle down to go to sleep. It didn't help that her older brother and his friend were here packing him up for another mission trip. So it was probably 10:30 before she finally gave it up. Then she woke up at 5:45 this morning with the words, "Is it time, Mama?"

Well, we picked her up afterwards and headed to the big city since we were almost there anyway. Had a bite of lunch and headed to Wal-Mart. Now I have told you about this love-hate thing I've got going with this store. Part of me knows this is the least expensive option. I am also very thankful for the privilege of shopping to feed my family. But if you've never gone shopping with 3 young children, especially if one happens to be exhausted, another is upset because the exhausted one was gone all morning, and the third has not had an afternoon nap....well you just haven't lived!

The FisherMan very kindly offered to take them so I could shop. But after a few minutes he called, "Where are you?"
"I'm in the baby section, hon. Why?"
"We're coming to find you, It's gonna take both of us today!"

I should have known by his admitting defeat that this trip would be a ....hmmm.....challenge? Ordeal? Nightmare? Oh, my goodness! You know how people's temperaments are different? Some are hot-tempered, some hold a grudge, etc Well, I have described FlowerChild as being like a summer afternoon. She is warm and sweet but occasionally it flares into a thunderstorm. But after a few minutes it blows over and you would never even notice it stormed. Well, y'all, that thunderstorm produced a tornado today! LOL She was so tired and it caught up, poor baby. But after a good cry she was back to herself and laughing like always. It helped that her tears weren't the only, ahem, moisture present. The FisherMan was holding Cornbread and thought he felt mighty warm. Then he thought, "Oh, no!" .......Oh, yes! Let's just say the diaper wasn't up to the challenge either. I tried to be supportive through my laughter!

A few minutes after all this I wound up in conversation with an older gentleman. He pointed out all my help and said how much he missed that. He has 2 grown children and no grandchildren. We had a pleasant conversation and it was a fresh reminder to take joy in today. Not everything is particularly joyful. Bills due, groceries and gas too high, tired children, tantrums, wet diapers....it can be stressful. But all my stress is because I have been so overwhelmingly blessed with people who need me. One day I may be shopping alone wistfully watching a young family as they make their way through the store. One day I may be missing these times.
So I will take joy in my life just as it is.
I will be content in my life just as it is.
I truly am happy with my peacefully chaotic life. :)

Comments

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I miss Wal-Mmart, nothing here compares. Your story of shopping with your children brings back happy memories of my own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treany,
    I enjoyed your blog!
    Oh, I can just imagine it must be very different! You should share about that....it would make a great blog post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!