Skip to main content

It Was There The Whole Time

Recently our family was in the car together riding back from the big city on the back roads in our county. It had stormed but the sun was just beginning to peek out. It made for a beautiful scene. White farmhouses stood stark against a purple sky with the sun reflecting on their porches. Farmland stretched out with green fields made all the more green with the rain. Along the way people were going about their normal business.

We slowed through a section of the highway. One lady had stopped on the side of the road to check her mailbox. Her face was drawn tight as she perused the stack of envelopes. The house was a tiny one, the yard littered with children's toys. How many bills do you suppose she received that day? It can be so discouraging to try to keep up financially especially when you are responsible for those little lives. For each step forward it seems you get knocked two steps back.

Across the road I spotted a farmer kneeling along a neatly plowed row, apparently deep in thought. Farmers are getting hit hard with the economy so bad. It isn't hard to find farms for sale or in foreclosure. It's sad to think how many families are being forced to give up land that was owned for generations. Some finally attained the dream of owning a farm only to have it snatched from them. I can only hope I wasn't witnessing that.

I had been deep in thought as we drove. Trials have been plentiful lately and it sometimes gets tempting to ask, "Why, Lord?" or "When, Lord?" About that time FlowerChild exclaimed, "Look!!!" When I glanced over in the direction she pointed there was a glorious sight. Stretched across the open field was a colorful, perfectly formed double rainbow. The bold colors blazed making the sky around it appear almost black. Hope immediately blossomed in my heart as I felt God's embrace. His promise was right there the whole time. Yes, the storms take place in life. But it is only through the rain that the sun can produce the gift of a rainbow. Sometimes even a double rainbow.

It was enough to be reminded of His presence. But my thoughts did not end there. You see, the farmer and the young mother had both been right there, too. They, like me, were lost in the heaviness of life in that moment. But they both had their backs turned to the amazing sight. It was there the whole time but they missed out on it because they never looked up! Were it not for a little child, I, too would have missed it.

If life feels heavy today the rainbow is there. You may be in the midst of a storm. Take heart! God's promises hold true! Always remember that the sun shining warm on your shoulder can not produce a rainbow. It is only when the rain comes that this gift can be formed. But to see the rainbow you must take your eyes and attention off of your burden and look up.

Comments

  1. Wow! What a great post! God's love is so incredible. I love the promise that is stored in the appearance of rainbows and how God has them show up just at the right time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten Erin,
    You are absolutely right! His love is incredible and I stand amazed at how His presence is in everything around us! Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post as I was browsing your site. What a wonderful post! Great story and message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty,
    Welcome! God has a way of showing us His presence right when we need it the most! Thanks for your visit.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!