Skip to main content

Excitement in the Word

".....that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

2 Timothy 3:14


This verse literally jumped off the page at me this morning as I read the scriptures. Don't you just love when that happens for it is then that you can be sure God is saying "Look!" He is trying to grab your attention and speak to you.

Yesterday FlowerChild made a new discovery, one that has thrilled her to no end and now she can't get enough of it. She realized she can read her Bible all by herself. Every time she finished her work and I had perhaps turned to help her sister or tend to the baby, she grabbed her Bible and started reading. She could not wait to be finished with her studies so she could get back to it. So when she finished she fixed up a little tent out of a blanket in the corner of the room and settled in under it with her flashlight and Bible for her "quiet time." (her words)

Last night she was elated to tell her daddy what she could now do. When he went out last night after supper to do some outside work she followed him and sat in the gazebo to read. I overheard her talking with her older brother afterwards. He was getting ready to go up to town and hang out with friends and she followed him around matching each step, chattering away. She was telling him, "It is so pleasant! It's cool outside and you can hear the crickets chirping and the rain dripping off the trees. And I can read my Bible all by myself now with no help so I just sat out there and read! So peaceful and pleasant!" Yes. Six years old.

She tried to go to sleep at bedtime. She held her Bible close as her little eyes squeezed shut. Finally she popped up and said, "Oh, Mama, I can't help it! I'm just so excited! I can finally read my own Bible!"

Do we as adults get this excited about God's word? Do we ever look at it as a privilege? Or have we become so jaded as to not notice what a treasure we have in our hands?

"Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. "
Matthew 18:2-4

This little child takes such delight in being able to further her relationship with Christ on her own without anyone having to do it for her. I take delight in watching her and rejoice with her. Wow, what must Christ Himself be feeling?

"But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 19:14

He feels the same delight when YOU seek out His presence. When was the last time you were so excited to spend time with the Lord that you couldn't sleep? Could think of nothing else? Take some time to soak up His presence today. Come away refreshed and revived, excited to know Him!

Comments

  1. Isn't that the most wonderful thing to watch! Your right, we adults need to get that excited about getting up and reading God's word too! Children are God's greatest example at just the right times :). Very convicting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K's R Us,
    We think we are the ones doing all the raising but so often it is having children that grows us up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Update

Abigail Hope was born at 2:30 this afternoon. Thank you everyone for your prayers for us. I can truly say I felt the presence of the Lord with me the entire time. Later I hope I can share with you all the little ways that God expressed Himself in this difficult time. Edited to add: I forgot to tell you but her name means "my father's joy and hope"