Skip to main content

Catching Up With Each Other

So, life has been a bit chaotic lately but what's new? :o) I thought I would share a little from different areas of our life. Wanna chat with me for a while and play catch up? In no particular order, here goes:

In the Kitchen:
With soccer going on in a different town we have been on the go way too much. Tonight was supposed to be the last game but it was canceled. Naturally we found out when we got to the field and no one else was there! I am looking forward to being home and having more home cooked meals. I am thinking about those summer comfort foods....fresh peas with cornbread, fried okra, sliced tomatoes, macaroni and cheese, maybe make some homemade ice cream. Mmmmm!

Which leads me to the garden:
The FisherMan loves to garden and has over one hundred seedlings started. He won't be able to put that many out but what a great start! If everything produces we will have squash, tomatoes, okra, hot peppers, bell peppers and peas. It isn't a huge garden spot, but it's enough to help out. Kind and generous friends often pass along extras as well which is a huge blessing! I love fresh vegetables!

In our yard:
Spring has sprung! Everything is in bloom and it is simply beautiful! I love the wisteria and it is everywhere. It smells so good. The azalea bush out back is loaded with hot pink blooms. The popcorn bushes are exploding with white blossoms. I took various pictures of everything in bloom today. It's getting to be grass cutting time. We are expecting 4-7 inches of rain over the next few days so it should really be shooting up. I am glad I took pictures. If we get any high winds with this bad weather that is predicted then there may not be any left!

In the schoolroom:
Well, the FlowerChild is excited. She finished her reading book today. She actually would have finished sooner but we supplemented with reading some children's books. I found it to be necessary in order to build up her confidence. She loved reading her stories from her reading book but lacked confidence when she needed to read something elsewhere such as a sign or from another book or something. You should have seen her face when she completed Good Night, Moon on her own! It finally clicked that she could do this!
I had planned on using Rod and Staff next but now I am leaning towards getting the Pathway Readers. If anyone has experience with any of this please pass on your opinions! We are using Rod and Staff Math and I like it. It is straightforward and simple with a spiral approach that allows for plenty of review where needed. It is certainly no frills but that makes it easy to supplement with other items. My impression is that Rod and Staff and Pathway are very similar. The main reason I am considering Pathway instead is that I thought she would enjoy the family centered stories that it offers. I also plan on getting the Nature readers both for reading and for science. I am planning on Explode the Code for phonics.

The bathroom:
Ha, gotcha wondering with that one? Actually we are repainting in there. Well, the FisherMan is. I may get in on the act soon but for now he is happily working away. We were having a mildew problem. He got up there and cleaned it all up from the ceiling. Now he has scraped and recaulked and has just about got the whole thing primed, ready to repaint with a mildew resistant paint. It already looks much better! We are going with a lighter color this time.

Well, short and sweet but now you know a little bit about life this week. How about you....what's going on in your corner of the world?

Comments

  1. Oh, can't wait to see the new bathroom. Can't you see a bunch of us piled in the hallway at the bathroom door admiring the new paint job. HA!!! I loved the deep burgandy color before, but I know you've chosen something just as pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Hen: Hee, hee I usually start in the bathroom when cleaning so when interruptions happen I always think,"Oh, well if company drops in, I guess we can congregate in the bathroom!" Now there will be an additional reason!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!