Skip to main content

Parenthood isn't for wimps!

Parenthood. That one little word is so many things all balled up in one. Let me share with you what it held today.

* Waking up very early because I couldn't sleep. Easing out of bed so as to not wake the little one who joined us during the night. Stepping over another one who chose to curl up on the floor by the foot of the bed. Stepping over the dog.

*Making cappuccino. Going to get the baby who sensed Mama was up. Nursing. Praying. Putting him on a pallet by me because it is the only way he will stay asleep. Reheating that cold cappuccino.

*Rocking. Hugging. Sleepy kisses as each child greets the day by greeting Mama. Chocolate pop tarts as a special treat. Vitamins. Teeth brushing. Medicine for a snotty nose.

* Turning off the news. Attempting to explain why a crazy man would shoot all those people. Trying to explain why a baby died. Reassuring. Uttering a silent prayer of thanks.
(I grew up going to visit family in Kinston. Just a few short months ago I and everyone I loved the most was there again. My children played on the empty train tracks as they always have. We could have all been easy targets but for simple timing.)
I don't know why a bad man did such a thing, little one.

* Bible stories.

*Laughing as precious children help bathe puppies. Holding tightly in my mind to the twinkle in FlowerChild's eyes as she manages to spray everything else, including the 14 year old cat, innocently sleeping in the open window.

*Hardening my own feelings enough to not cry as they say goodbye to the puppies as they are driven away. It wasn't so bad as they loaded up. It was after they left.

*Softening my own feelings enough to agree to keep two puppies. Yes, I was suckered. But they are really cute. Not as much as the 2 sets of blue eyes that did the convincing.

*Sandwiches made with homemade bread. With every child's favorite. Goldfish.

*Math lessons in the sunshine.

* Reading lessons outside in a rocker in Mama's lap.

* Soccer games. Cheering. Potty breaks. Potty accidents.

*Cell phone calls. Celebrating long distance. (The GuitarMan's team won the championship game! He shot the winning 3-pointer in overtime!)

*Frozen lemonade. Just because it feels like spring.

* Cleaning up baby when he throws up in a carseat. After mixed vegetables and bananas. No, I would hate to define parenthood in that moment!

* Lulling babies to sleep. Wishing for that myself!

Comments

  1. Oh, it's so easy to get caught up in our everyday lives. I often take for granted what a precious gift Motherhood is.
    I once told someone that it is the most wonderful, exciting, exhausting, and overwhelming thing I've ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great post. Thanks for reminding me of the simplicity, silliness, and sacrifice we do everyday. I didn't do much parenting yesterday as I was at a special ed advocacy meeting...but I'm going to follow your lead. It was brilliant. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorrie,
    Thanks for your kind comment. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!