Skip to main content

Exhaustion Isn't So Bad :)

Today was a better day than I thought it would be! I was sooooo tired and the thought of facing household chores and homeschooling just did not excite me. The house is a wreck since we have been gone so much lately.

But for my own peace of mind I try to focus on what I have accomplished rather than all there is to be done. This morning the girls enjoyed an episode of Wishbone on PBS. It's weird because The GuitarMan grew up watching it. They had never seen it before but with all these new PBS channels we now have with the converter box there are more shows to choose from. We got our homeschooling finished today and even did some extra manipulative work in Math and read an extra book in Reading. The little ones enjoyed playtime with the puppies this afternoon. I managed to get all the children's laundry washed, dried, and put away. Supper was tacos so that made for happy children. Then we went to church where I teach Mission Friends. We are learning about missionaries in Jacksonville, Florida.

I am hoping to have a little more get-up-and-go tomorrow without needing to get up and go anywhere! Then maybe I can apply that energy to organizing the house and getting it cleaned up again. When my outsides are in disarray it's hard to get my insides to feel settled. Does that make sense? But I have really been trying to just not let it get to me when things get out of hand. Now this time it was totally understandable...we played throughout the weekend and stayed gone and played nursemaid so far this week! But that's just it...when life happens and your house shows it, do you freak out and make everyone miserable? I confess I have been guilty of it. But I would rather know that my emphasis was on memories and not just the house. I'll give you an example.

Sunday after church we ran home to get changed before heading to lunch. The Guitarman had a friend with him who wanted to see the puppies and while we were here some more of his friends from high school showed up. The next thing I knew I had a living room full of people, activity, music and laughter. On the one hand, I cringed because the house was a disaster but then on the other hand it was like I was saying on a previous post. It's the people who matter. I am so glad these kids know they can show up at my house unannounced and be greeted with a smile and a hug. For that matter, I'm so glad they would want to!

So if you are experiencing a little of what I'm talking about around your house, take a breath and relax. Do the little jobs first so you can see the results quickly. If you only have a minute here or there because of cranky children or extra work hours, whatever....try just cleaning off a table, then another. Wipe down the bathroom fixtures and scrub out the toilet. Throw misc items in a basket. Put them away when you get another minute. Make up the beds. Save the sweeping, mopping and vaccuuming for when you have time to zoom through and tackle all the rooms. Make sure you have cleaned up the clutter and dusted prior to it though. Instead of looking at the mess as a whole break it up into little jobs. You will gradually get it back to where it ought to be. If it takes a few days, oh well. Most of all, don't sacrifice your family for a perfect house. When all else fails do as I do. Turn on some loud fast music and get the kiddos involved. My girls like to play Musical Cleanup. It's like Musical Chairs except you clean instead of running around chairs. When the music stops you freeze. 21 Pickup is fun too. You set the timer for ever how long you want and the object is to put away 21 items before it rings. Incidentally this is very helpful in teaching little ones to count. Be creative and have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!