Skip to main content

You Choose: Glitzy Junk or Plain Jane Fun

I told my girls they could have a prize today. They went to the toy aisle with their daddy while I got a few more things. When I got over there they had their expensive little miniature doll sets all picked out as the FisherMan looked on shaking his head. (He gets a little lost amid all the sea of pink sometimes LOL) So I proceeded to try to talk them into books instead. After all, the dolls and their tee-niny pieces get lost, not to mention they have plenty of those to play with. But you can never have too many books, right?

Well, the FlowerChild was none too happy about it! But after some feeble whiny protesting (which was quickly squashed by Mama and the understanding that a prize was a privilege not a necessity so therefore we could just do without any of it) she agreed. Attitudes improved immediately once they got to the books and began oohing and aahing over this one and that one.

LadyBug found several she would have been quite happy with. By the way I was so proud of her. She looked through each one to see if it was "nice." She really wanted one in particular but it had a picture that she was bothered by and she gave it back because she "jus didn't feel wite about dat pitch-ur." It was so good to see her practicing discernment and following her convictions. She found another book very quickly and was ready to go.

However the FlowerChild just could not settle on one. I suggested another aisle of books. Nothing there. She moved on down to the coloring books and both girls excitedly decided to switch to those. They have been enjoying a lot of coloring during their free time lately so that was fine with me.

Then they found it. A whole book of paper dolls with accessories. On clearance! We happily left the store and headed home. Those two played with them all the way up until bedtime! They loved them! There was something so calming about them contentedly playing with their paper dolls. They are even dreaming up new fashions for them. They especially enjoy the princess dresses as they call them.

The world tells you that children must be entertained by the latest glitzy toys. But I find that my children love to hear all about what we played with when we were growing up. They were tickled to death when they found out that I had also enjoyed paper dolls. Don't be afraid to tell your child no when they ask for something and instead provide them with a simple pleasure. The simple activities are usually the ones that bring your family together. Books, jigsaw puzzles, older movies...all are nice ways to keep your children grounded. They also usually encourage them to work together. Have you noticed how much of our modern entertainment sends everyone to their separate rooms? Maybe paper dolls won't solve that problem but it sure seems to be a good start!

Comments

  1. So true. When given the option...my boys will play with sticks and stones and have a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lorrie! My girls love those too. Don't forget a good old box. Give a box to a child and it becomes everything from a tent to a rocketship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto the above! I sooooooo love the "old fashioned, plain jane" toys .....so do the kiddos!!! Ahhhhhh, the simple life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany: Us too! It seems to bring a different attitude and atmosphere when they play with things like that too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!