Skip to main content

Got Fruit?

I have a confession to make. I - am -a - people watcher. There I said it. I love to people watch! The FisherMan and I can be out somewhere with our oldest son and he can tell immediately when we go into our secret agent mode LOL. He used to get so exasperated with us and now I catch him doing the same thing!

Have you ever wondered what people think if they practice people watching on you? Anyone that knows anything about following Christ knows that a Christian should bear fruit. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. " Galatians 5: 22-23 But I wonder how many of us are truly living this out. How many of us are just content to have a foot in heaven? Or maybe that we are so much better than that other person? At least I don't ___________________. We get so caught up in comparisons, judgements and downright complacency that we forget (or don't even begin) to live out our beliefs in a truly God-glorifying, contagious way. Honestly if someone was watching you for an indication of why they should think about Christianity would they even want to get to know this Jesus? Much less turn over their life, their will, their soul to Him? What is there about your daily walk that says God is Awesome!! Do you wear your testimony on your sleeve? Is it apparent? How about unbelievers? What are they seeing or picking up from you? Is there a difference between your life and theirs? If so, do they get a condescending, pious attitude from you or is it one of joy, contentment and peace? Something that could truly draw them in and want what you have.

I realize this post has a lot of questions so I hope I am not putting anyone off. But I think it is important to examine ourselves and see exactly where we stand. It can sometimes be easy to get caught up in life and not realize just what we have become. Responsibilities demand. Worries consume. Needs must be met. Daily life marches on. Time gets away from us and we change a little more with it. The fruits become less and less of a reality. But God is so much more powerful than anything this life has! The fruits come from Him through us.

Love. Got it? Giving it? Joy. What exactly is true joy? Peace. Wow, a lot of us are longing for that one. Longsuffering. Hmmm, what's the difference in being longsuffering and carrying yourself as a martyr? Kindness. To whom? Goodness. Just how good? Faithfulness. Once again, to whom? To what? Gentleness. Ok, if I'm kind and good where does gentleness come in? Self-control. Over???

Self examination isn't easy. It brings up some hard questions. But it is so worth it to open ourselves up and allow god to mold us to be more like Him!

Comments

  1. Great word! Thanks for sharing! Joel and I were just having this discussion .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    Thanks for the encouragement! As I post more feel free to add to it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Season of Pregnancy (updated)

I know. I have been neglecting this blog. Horribly. That's not the only thing that has been thrown by the wayside lately! It is only for a season though. Pregnancy means you must be patient with yourself and accept that sometimes you must let things slide. That also means that you have to plan in order to conserve your energy. I know if I am going somewhere later today then I don't need to rush around and try to get a lot done in the morning. Priorities must be in order. Although the morning sickness is better it isn't totally gone at this point. Whoever named it that anyway? The main thing I have been dealing with is fatigue. My blog shows it. My laundry shows it. My house shows it. Ack, everywhere shows it! I simply do not have the energy to do the bending up and down required to truly clean up, do laundry, and the vacuuming/sweeping etc. It's quite depressing actually! So I do a little here, do a little there. I manage the necessities such as homeschooling, cooking,

Need Prayers

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor's appt. They could not find the baby's heartbeat. Ultrasound showed that for reasons that are simply unknown right now, the baby has died. If I do not deliver on my own by Monday, then I will be induced. We know that God has a purpose in every life, no matter how short. Right now, there are a jumble of feelings. I'm sure the coming days will be no different. We went to my son and told him in person. He came on home as he wants to be here for all of us, particularly FlowerChild, as she leans on him so much. We haven't told the girls yet as we just aren't sure how to handle that at this point. Today in the South the snow is falling and they feel like it is Christmas. I would rather let them have that and watch their delight as they play. It's not important when they find out so much as it is that I find the right way to tell them. I will probably come at it from the direction of a premature birth or that the baby is sick. Th

Latest on GuitarMan

I haven't made a practice of sharing photos with a full facial view on here. However the GuitarMan isn't too worried about that LOL! With many of you praying for him I thought you might like to have an idea of who he is. He is still in a lot of pain. His fingers are all black and blue and his entire hand is swollen. His hand is cut straight across his fingers and across the bottom of his hand. Once again, very obvious what could have happened. He's blown away by everyone caring and checking in him and the prayers on his behalf. He says to thank you all!